In 2011, IEEE Public Visibility focused on sharing IEEE member expertise with the media.
ABOVE: IEEE Solutionists are trained and skilled in the art or science of making practical application of the knowledge of pure sciences to solve a problem. IEEE Solutionists include (l. to r.): Vint Cerf, IEEE Fellow, Vice President and Chief Internet Evangelist at Google; Sophie Vandebroek, IEEE Fellow, Chief Technology Officer at Xerox; and Norm Augustine, IEEE Life Fellow (retired) & CEO Lockheed Martin, U.S. Human Space Flight Committee.
Throughout the year, the IEEE Public Visibility initiative continued its global communications program to elevate IEEE’s visibility, value, and brand awareness to position the organization as a thought leader and source of technology information.
“Hot Topic” Storytelling
IEEE member experts appeared in hundreds of articles in top-tier media outlets in seven countries. Media interest in IEEE was strengthened by the participation of technical experts in interviews that showcased their talents, expertise, and viewpoints. Key coverage highlights:
- IEEE Insights, a blog that regularly discusses pressing global issues in the areas of innovation, education, and technology at Forbes.com.
- IEEE Women in Engineering stories appeared in the U.S., U.K., India, and China.
- IEEE seminar in Japan on the use of robots in the Fukushima disaster attracted multiple media mentions.
- IEEE member viewpoints on cloud computing were featured in prominent outlets in U.S., U.K., and Brazil.
- IEEE work in the field of solar energy received worldwide media coverage.
- CIO.com featured IEEE Mobile Predictions in 2012.
- AOL Energy featured IEEE in its story “Nanotechnology Goes Macro.”
Partnering Across Societies and Organizational Units
A collaboration with multiple IEEE societies and organizational units identified and positioned members as subject matter experts with the media. This led to a raised visibility of IEEE, engineering, computing, and technology.
The IEEE Solutionists campaign, “Icons of the Digital World: Perspectives on Tomorrow’s Solutionists,” profiled IEEE members who are leaders in the technology sector. Videos, interviews, and articles detailed the many significant contributions they made to society in 2011.