Awards and Recognition
Achievements and work products of members of the Chattanooga Section of IEEE
2019 Engineers Banquet Awards
- TVA honors Marjorie Parsons as 2019 Engineer of the Year at February board meeting
- Chattanooga Engineers Club honors Justin Kleinfeld with the Jo Conn Guild Outstanding Engineer of the Year for 2019
- Chattanooga Engineers Club honors Ashley Commander with the Gen. Robert Neyland Young Engineer of the Year for 2019.
- 2016 Jo Conn Guild Outstanding Engineer Award (Chattanooga E-Week) – Greg Goza
- TVA honors Greg Goza as 2018 Engineer of the Year at February board meeting
Member Granted Patents
- 9,459,600. Method and automation system for processing information extractable from an engineering drawing file using information modeling and correlations to generate output data. Brian Huffine.
- 9,734,684. Perimeter monitoring using autonomous drones. Donald Bryson, Eric Kline, Sarabjit Rakshit.
- 8,495,086. Verifying licenses of musical recordings with multiple soundtracks. Donald Bryson
- 8,745,000. Private database logging with minimal storage requirements. Donald Bryson
- 9,897,457; 9,978,108; 10,062,126. Method and system for controlling vehicles and drones. Donald Bryson, Eric Kline, Sarbajit Rakshit.
- 9,911,084. Autonomous vehicle scheduling system for pickup and drop-off of passengers. Donald Bryson, Eric Kline, Sarbajit Rakshit.
- 9,946,850; 10,068,066. Providing temporary contact information. Donald Bryson, Eric Kline, and Sarbajit Rakshit.
- Portable Time Structures. Dr Dobb’s. Donald Bryson
- Statistics in Java: If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Dr Dobb’s. Donald Bryson
- Problem Solving with sar. SysAdm. Donald Bryson
- Software Patents: An Inventor’s Perspective. IEEE The Institute. Donald Bryson
- Fake Social Media Posts Can Make You a Target for Scams. IEEE The Institute. Donald Bryson
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Phase-Phase Switching Surge Flashovers: Weather Correction Factors. IEEE Power Engineering Review. Ian S. Grant; Albert S. Paulson; Mark A. Presser.
- Economic Incentives for Larger Transmission Conductors. IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems. Ian S. Grant; Vito J. Longo.
- Frequency Sensitivity and Electromechanical Propagation Simulation Study in Large Power Systems. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers. Shu-Jen Tsai; Li Zhang; Arun G. Phadke; Yilu Liu; Michael R. Ingram; Sandra C. Bell; Ian S. Grant; Dale T. Bradshaw; David Lubkeman; Le Tang.
- Transmission Line Optimization. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery. Ian S. Grant ; Roger E. Clayton.
- Assessment of the Impact of GMD on the TVA 500-kV Grid and Power Transformers – Part I:GIC Modelling and Initial Studies – Gary Kobet and Ian Grant
- Assessment of the Impact of GMD on the TVA 500-kV Grid and Power Transformers – Part II: Magnetic and Thermal Capability of Paradise and Bull Run Transformers and Effects on System Performance– Gary Kobet, Ian Grant, and Greg Goza
- TVA’s Regenesys energy storage project. Ian Grant and J. Hoagland
- Challenges of implementing substation hardware upgrades for NERC CIP version 5 compliance to enhance cybersecurity. J Matt Cole.
- Challenges of Implementing Substation Hardware Upgrades for Enhanced Cybersecurity. J Matt Cole
- Limitations of Steady-State Unbalanced Load Flow Software for Analysis of Induction Motor Behavior During Voltage Unbalance Conditions. J Matt Cole, M. D. URBINA, A. J. ALLEN, and E. M. HOPE.
- Applying NERC CIP Standards to Power Distribution Utility Control Centers to Enhance Cybersecurity within a SMART and Automated Environment. J Matt Cole and N Wallace.
- Cybersecurity Challenges of Implementing IEC-61850 for Automation between the Smart Distribution Control Center and the Substation. J Matt Cole and Matt LaCourt.