IAS Day Sarajevo Report
Our trip started from Thessaloniki, northern Greece. We traveled to Istanbul for a correspondence flight to Sarajevo.
After our arrival we checked in Bristol Hotel. In the afternoon we met Dr. Magyar, Mr. Lloyd, professors from other Bosnian universities and some of the guys from the IAS Sarajevo Chapter as well. After a brief sightseeing in the city we had dinner in one of the most famous restaurants in Sarajevo. The food, the music, the company, all was perfect.
Next day, we had an early waking up for attending the IAS Day Sarajevo. The event was held in the Electrical Engineering faculty inside Sarajevo University’s Campus. The event included:
- A Bosnia and Herzegovina presentation by Dusanka Boskovic, IEEE BH Section Chair
- A presentation of the University of Banja Luka / IAS / PELS Joint Chapter by Petar Matic, IAS/PELS Joint Chapter Chair
- A presentation of the University of Sarajevo by Merima Ocuz
- A presentation of IAS by Lloyd Blake, IAS President and Peter Mgyar, IAS CMD Chair
- A lecture about technical English
- A technical lecture about the effects of modern variable speed drives on high voltage motor winding insulation by Lloyd Blake, IAS President
- A presentation of the IAS SB Chapter of Democritus University of Thrace, Greece by Anthony Glioumpas, Nizar Almesry, Georgios Barlas and Charalampos Theodoropoulos
- An IAS SB Chapter’s Presentation of the University of Sarajevo by Nada Hodzic
- A Faculty of Electrical Engineering Laboratory Tour by Vedad Becirovic, IAS SB Chapter Advisor
Next, we went in a City Walk Tour with all the participants. We had the opportunity to gain a bunch of new knowledge about the history of Sarajevo as well as visit some of the most iconic places and monuments of the city. The girls who shouldered the tour did an excellent job despite the bad, rainy weather. The evening ended with the team having dinner in the commercial and cultural centre of the city. Even though our trip was supposed to end the next day, we decided to stay a little bit more in order to venture more into the city and have fun with our new friends. It was a trip to remember thanks to our wonderful hosts and their excellent organization.
Report written by:
DUTh SB IAS Chapter