About the Nanotechnology Council
The IEEE Nanotechnology Council (NTC) is a multi-disciplinary group whose purpose is to advance and coordinate work in the field of Nanotechnology carried out throughout the IEEE in scientific, literary and educational areas. The Council supports the theory, design, and development of nanotechnology and its scientific, engineering, and industrial applications.
The IEEE BoD approved formation of the IEEE Nanotechnology Council and its Field of Interest on February 17, 2002. The IEEE Nanotechnology Council is part of Division I – Circuits and Devices and is made up of 22 member societies:
- Aerospace & Electronic System Society (AES)
- Antennas & Propagation Society (AP)
- Circuits & Systems Society CAS)
- Communications Society (COM)
- Components, Packaging, & Manufacturing Technology Society (CPMT)
- Computational Intelligence Society (CI) [Formerly Neural Networks (NN) Society]
- Computer Society (C)
- Control Systems Society (CS)
- Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation Society (DEIS)
- Electron Devices Society (ED)
- Engineering in Medicine & Biology Society (EMB)
- Electromagnetic Compatibility Society (EMC)
- Industrial Electronics Society (IE)
- Instrumentation & Measurement Society (IM)
- Photonics Society (PS)
- Magnetics Society (MAG)
- Microwave Theory & Techniques Society (MTT)
- Reliability Society (RL)
- Solid State Circuits Society (SSC)
- Robotics & Automation Society (RA)
- Systems, Man, & Cybernetics Society (SMC)
- Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, & Frequency Control Society (UFFC)
The IEEE Nanotechnology Council has many chapters. See the Chapters page for a list with contacts.
The NTC has a Constitution and Bylaws.
The NTC is governed by an executive committee (Excom) and an Advisory Committee (Adcom).
Officers are elected by the Adcom at the annual meeting, held at the International Nanotechnology Conference (“NANO”).
Nominations are due to the Chair of the Nominating Committee one month prior to the Annual Meeting.
The Excom consists of the following officers (8):
- President (2 year term, beginning in even years)
- President-Elect (1 year term, in odd years)
- Vice President of Conferences (2 year term, beginning in odd years)
- Vice President of Finance (2 year term, beginning in odd years)
- Vice President of Publications (2 year term, beginning in even years)
- Vice President of Technical Activities (2 year term, beginning in even years)
- Secretary (appointed) [non-voting]
As needed, Standing Committee Chairs and Editors-in-Chiefs are invited to Excom to report activities.
See our current officers.
The Adcom consists of 67 members:
- Voting members: 
- Excom members 
- Society representatives (2 each)  (one vote per Society , primary voter designated annually by each Society president to cover the event that both representatives are present at the time of voting or for online voting)
The term of office of a Member Society representative on the Council shall be two years with each of the two Society representatives appointed by the Society in alternate years. Reappointment is at the discretion of the Society represented.
- Non-voting members :
- Council Secretary
- Editor-in-Chief, Transactions on Nanobioscience (T-NB)
- Editor-in-Chief, Transactions on Nanotechnology (T-NANO)
- Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Nanotechnology Magazine (INM)
- Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Nanotechnology Web Content / e-Newsletter
- Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Nanotechnology Express (E-NANO) (new)
- Chair, Awards Committee
- Chair, Constitution & Bylaws Committee
- Chair, Education Committee
- Chair, Fellows Committee
- Chair, Finance Committee (VP Finance per Bylaw B4.1, Rev. 1)
- Chair, Liaison and Transnational (Past-President per Bylaw B4.1, Rev. 1)
- Chair, Meetings Committee (VP Conferences per Bylaw B4.1, Rev. 1)
- Chair, Nominations & Appointments Committee (Past-President per Bylaw B4.1, Rev. 1 unless Past-President elects not to serve then appointed)
- Chair, Publications Committee (VP Publications per Bylaw B4.1, Rev. 1)
- Chair, Regional Interest Groups Committee (includes Chapters)
- Chair, Standards Committee
- Chair, Technical Activities Committee (VP Technical Activities per Bylaw B4.1, Rev. 1)
- Division I Director
- Vice President TAB
- Secretary TAB
See our current Adcom members.
NTC has the following Standing committees:
- Constitution and Bylaws
- Liaison and Transnational
- Nominations & Appointments
- Regional Interest Groups (Chapters)
- Technical Activities
- Distinguished Lecturer
See our committees page.