IEEE Student Professional Awareness Conference (SPAC) aims to enhance the leadership, career, and professional development skills of engineering and science students. IEEE SPAC is an event usually followed by a formal dinner that aims to bridge the gap between students and their career goals. SPAC offers students and employers a unique opportunity to network with one another in a professional environment along with professionals and academics representing the STEM field. SPAC focused area comprises majorly career development and
professional integrity exposure/awareness.
The IEEE FUTO SB Student Professional Awareness Conference (SPAC) 2018 held on the 7th April, 2018. The technical conference had the theme “Technology Today”. The one day conference had a total of 50 attendees with lots of interactive activities. The participants were drawn from the various STEM related disciplines in the University such as Elect/Elect, Mechatronics Engineering, Computer Science, Information Management Technology, Physics, Mathematics, etc. The event was moderated by Mr. Mbagwu Chinedu Clinton.
Four (4) topics in total were discussed during the conference. Two keynote speakers were at the event with additional two guest speakers. The keynote topics and their speakers were:
- Artificial Intelligence & Big Data Analytics: Benefits & Risks presented by Dr. Kennedy Chinedu Okafor.
- Smart Grid Systems: A New Grid Revolution presented by Samuel Okozie represented by Mr. Ihejirika Allwell Chinedum.
The invited speakers and their topics include:
- Leadership Competencies for a new Society presented by Osuala Nnamdi.
- The Role of Employable Skill-Sets: a New Paradigm Shift presented by Dr. Kennedy Chinedu Okafor.
During the conference, a competition was held by the Chair-Elect Ezeoguine Chuka Dean. Among the attendees, three (3) participants were chosen. At the end of the competition, Mr. OKPALA BENEDICT emerged as the winner with a token price award.
Also, the winner and first runner-up of the just concluded IEEE FUTO SB Paper Competition 2018 were announced and winner was NNAMANI VALENTINE KOSISOCHUKWU with his topic as FUTURE OF MOBILE COMMERCE and the first runner-up was DURU LEVI ODINAKACHUKWU with his topic as INTERNET OF THINGS. The prices were as follows:
- The winner gets to attend all IEEE FUTO SB activities for the year free of charge.
- The first runner-up gets to attend all IEEE FUTO SB activities for the year with a 50% discount.
- And certificates.
At end of the conference, attendees benefited the following:
- Soft copy certificates
- E-materials on some software packages