The IEEE NSW Section Volunteer Awards
The NSW Section is proud to introduce local awards to recognise the contribution of our members. Many members donate enormous amounts of their time on a diverse range of activities that benefit the IEEE membership. Therefore, if you or somebody you know has made a substantial contribution then we encourage you to apply.
The awards recognize the contribution NSW members make to the IEEE and its vision of advancing technology for the benefit of humanity. The three awards are:
– IEEE NSW Outstanding Volunteer
– IEEE NSW Outstanding Young Professional
– IEEE NSW Outstanding Women In Engineering Volunteer
– IEEE NSW Outstanding Student Volunteer
The award is open to IEEE members living in NSW and with an address registered with the IEEE as residing in NSW. IEEE members are to apply for the category that they belong to as determined by their membership. Current NSW Section Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, Awards Chair and those serving on the judging panel are ineligible for nomination. A member cannot be nominated if they have received one of the awards in the previous five years.
The winner of each award will be presented with a plaque at the annual NSW Section AGM held in November. A certificate of commendation may be allocated to the Young Professional, Women in Engineering and Student categories if deemed appropriate by the awards committee. Only one commendation can be provided for each of the three categories. No certificate of commendation is available for the Outstanding Volunteer category.
The winners of each category will be nominated by the NSW Section to the respective Region 10 and Australia Council awards in the following year.
Those nominated are expected to be present at the NSW Section AGM in November to receive the prize.
Nominations will close on the 31st of August each year.
The award policy and instructions can be found here.
The award nomination form can be found here.
Nominations for the 2019 award is OPEN
IEEE NSW Section Award History
- NSW Section Awards
- NSW Outstanding Volunteer – Prof Subhas Mukhopadhyay for his outstanding contributions to the IEEE especially IEEE Sensors Council, IEEE IMS society and IEEE NSW
- NSW Outstanding Young Professional – Dr Raheel Hashmi for excellence in leadership and notable contributions to IEEE Young Professionals and IEEE in New South Wales, demonstrated through technical and professional development initiatives
- Commendation Young Professional – Dr Sudipta Chakraborty for her contributions to IEEE in NSW, the Education Chapter and Women in Engineering Education
- NSW Outstanding Student Volunteer – Asanga Jayawardana for his outstanding contributions to IEEE Student Branch of the University of Wollongong, IEEEXtreme competition and IEEE NSW
- Commendation Student Volunteer – Mohamed Mahmoud Zakaria Awadallah for his contributions to IEEE in NSW and IEEE Student Branch of the University of Technology Sydney
- R10 Best Membership Growth Large Section Award: IEEE New South Wales Section
- R10 Outstanding Volunteer Award
- David Tien in recognition of outstanding contribution and services to the IEEE New South Wales Section and IEEE Region 10
- 2018 IEEE Xtreme
- Top 100 World Placing (84/4094) and 1st Place in Australia: Anh Minh Le, Duc Thien Bui, Minh Nguyen (University of Wollongong)
- 2017 Australia Council Winners (Based on previous year)
- 2nd Place Student Branch Competition: Macquarie University and University of Wollongong (equal placing)
- Commendation, Student Branch Competition: University of Technology Sydney
- 2nd Place Postgraduate Student Paper Competition: Mohamed Mahmoud Zakaria Awadallah (University of Technology Sydney)
- 1st Place Undergraduate Project Competition: Yang Lin
- Commendation, Postgraduate Student Paper Competition: Harith Roshana Wickramasinghe (University of New South Wales)
- Region 10 Student Paper Contest Winners
- 1st Place Postgraduate: Ali Lalbakhsh from Macquarie University
- IEEE Section Awards
- Gold Medal: 2017 Outstanding Section Membership Recruitment and Retention Performance
- Region 10 Student Paper Contest Winners
- 1st Place Postgraduate: Roy B. V. B. Simorangkir from Macquarie University
- 2016 Australia Council Winners (Based on previous year)
- 1st Place Student Branch Competition: Macquarie University
- 1st Place Postgraduate Student Paper Competition: Guohao Lan from University of New South Wales
- 2017 IEEE Xtreme
- Top 50 World Placing (32/3350) and 1st Place in Australia: Anh Minh Le, Duc Thien Bui, Minh Nguyen (University of Wollongong)
- 2016 IEEE Education Society Chapter Achievement Award
- Winner: NSW Chapter