Some of the key activities and achievements of members from Region 8 during the past year include the following:
IEEE PES anchor conference in Europe, IEEE PES PowerTech, took place in Eindhoven, The Netherlands, between 29th June and 2nd July 2105. Excellent, possibly record, attendance with 703 registered delegates and over 630 papers presented.
Three new chapters are (re)established in Region 8, so the toal number of the PES chapters in the Region is now 44. Newly established chapters are as follows:
- Russia (Siberia) Section Power & Energy, Industrial Electronics, Industry Applications, and Control Systems Joint Societies Chapter.
Chair: Andrey Radionov (email@example.com)
- Ukraine Section Power & Energy, Industry Applications, and Industrial Electronics Joint Societies Chapter.
Chair: Andrii Zharkin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Oman Section Power & Energy Society Chapter,
Chair: Saleh Al-Khayari (email@example.com)
Four IEEE PES Region 8 members have been elevated this year to the grade of
Fellow of the IEEE from January 2016. This brings the number of IEEE PES Fellows in the region to 69. The following four colleagues are recognized for their outstanding contributions to power and energy research
- Prof Rabih Jabr, American University Beirut, Lebanon, for application of robust optimisation to power systems
- Prof Federico Milano, University College Dublin, Ireland, for contributions to power system modelling and simulaltion
- Prof Joao Abel Pecas Lopes, University of Porto, Portugal, for contribution to microgrids and integration of wind generation
- Prof Vladimir Terzija, The University of Manchester, UK, for contributions to power system protection
Four new chapter representatives for different geographic zones in the Region have been appointed. Prof Dirk Van Hertem remained Chapters Representative for Western Europe. The list of zonal representatives for IEEE PES R8 from 1st September 2015 to 31st August 2019 (4 years) includes:
- Central Europe and Scandinavia: Mr Ivan Petruzela (firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com)
- Eastern Europe: Prof (Ms) Snezana Cundeva (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Middle East and North Africa: Ms Fatima Al Dhaheri (email@example.com)
- Western Europe: Assoc. Prof (Mr) Dirk Van Hertem [firstname.lastname@example.org]
Numerous technical and more than fifteen DLP lectures (e.g., Cyprus, France, FYR Macedonia, Croatia, Lebanon, UK&RI, Greece, Sweden) have been organised, throughout the region.
Two new experts from the region have been appointed as Distinguished IEEE Lecturers and the third is currently at the final stage of the appointment procedure. Newly appointed distinguished lectureres from the Region are:
- Prof Leonid Grcev, University of Saints Cyril and Methodius, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
- Prof Luis F. (Nando) Ochoa, The University of Manchester, UK