International School of Solar Energy – ISSE 2018 – was an event held from July 31 to August 3, 2018 for engineering students and professionals interested in better understanding the conversion of solar radiation into clean and environmentally correct electricity. Internationally recognized speakers presented different aspects of the development of solar energy in Brazil and in the world. In addition, several workshops were offered for practical learning. The lectures given were:
- Alternative Materials to Silicon in Solar Cell (UnB) Manufacturing: Professor Artemis Ceschin of UnB showed new materials that could be viable for photovoltaic conversion, making a balance of pros and cons for each material studied.
- Insertion of Heliothermic energy in the National Energy Scenario (USP): It was taught by Professor Celso Lins, from USP, in this lecture were discussed different technologies and the potential for the insertion in Brazil of thermal plants of solar concentration.
- International Experience of Insertion of Renewable Sources in the Italian System (CESI): The lecturer Marco Nicolas, belonging to CESI GROUP, presented the Italian experience with photovoltaic energy.
- Solar Energy Technological Prospecting (CGEE): Dr. Ceres Cavalcanti addressed the research lines in solar energy that should be studied in the coming years, for the modernization of the Brazilian electrical system.
- Prospects for the Photovoltaic Market in Brazil (ABSOLAR): The company ABSOLAR presented the current development and expectations for the Brazilian photovoltaic market and, thus, showed specific opportunities and challenges of this market.
- Solar Energy Research and Development in Brazil (ANEEL): The research representative of ANEEL presented the main Brazilian research in the field of solar energy.
Congress photos at auditorium of FT/UnB – Brasília-Brazil .
The workshops cover a number of topics, including:
- Instrumentation for Solar Resource (Campbell Scientific): It taught the functionalities and characteristics of meteorological station measuring instruments applied to solar systems.
- Inverters (Fronius): It was taught about features and characteristics of inverters in this workshop.
- Regulatory Aspects Applied to Solar Energy (ANEEL): This workshop presented, analyzed and discussed the regulatory frameworks for microgeneration and distributed minimation and for the registration and granting of solar plants.
- Photovoltaic Distributed Generation Projects: It taught about the steps to elaborate a technical and economic feasibility project of distributed photovoltaic generation.
The event was designed by a team of students and teachers. The teachers were Rafael Amaral Shayani (chapter advisor), Mario Siqueira, Guilherme Carvalho and Sérgio Frontin.
Congress photo in one of the workshops activities at FT/UnB – Brasília-Brazil .
- ISSE website (2018). [Online].
E. Torres, Filipe & Carvalho, Danubia
IEEE PES UnB – Universidade de Brasília