- This event has passed.
Kotlin and Java – Better Together- NEJUG Meeting
September 14 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
As part of New England Java User Group Meetings:
At Google I/O 2017, the Android team announced official first-class support for Kotlin. Kotlin, developed by JetBrains – the company behind the IntelliJ IDE, compiles to JVM bytecode. It has many characteristics that make it also a great fit for developing server-side applications, including Expressiveness, Scalability, Interoperability, Migration, Tooling, and Learning Curve.
In this talk, we will dive into basic syntax fairly broadly though not in depth. Topics include:
- Functions as expressions
- Conditions as expressions
- Nullable/non-nullable values and alternate idioms to ensure null safety
- Type checks and automatic smart casts, safe casting
- When-expressions (‘when’ improves on Java’s ‘switch’ but can be an expression as well as a statement)
- Functional literals, aka lambda expressions — time permitting
- Classes and inheritance, Class properties; Visibility modifiers
- Extensions to extend a class without having to inherit it
My favorite features are Extensions, and Java Interoperability.
Don’t let only Google and Android developers have all the fun with Kotlin; find out for yourself what is all that jazz about Kotlin.
Bldg: Constant Contact
Reservoir Place 1601 Trapelo Rd