IEEE Region 2

IEEE
Meetings

Meeting Minutes – Region 2 February 28, 2004

Region 2 Winter Meeting

February 28, 2004

Minutes

 

Director Kam – Welcome remarks, introductions, and Call to Order

  • Present and approve the agenda
  • Director Kam welcomed the region representatives
  • Director Kam discussed the procedures for nominating candidates for director elect (included as an attachment)

 

Approval of appointments and BylawsDentler

  • By laws, first introduced one year ago, were approved. Bylaws are posted on the web site

Minutes of the Feb 03 and Nov 03 meetings – Dentler

  • Minutes for the Feb and Nov 03 meetings were approved. Minutes are posted on the web site.

Secretary announcements – Dentler

  • Addressed hotel billing arrangements and arrangements for the evening banquet celebrating Baltimore’s Centennial as an IEEE AIEE section

Director Report – Kam

  • Director Kam’s report is included as an appendix. Director Kam discussed the IEEE organization, placing Region 2 in context with the world organization
  • Director Kam presented demographic statistics comparing Region 2 with other regions through out the world

 
Director-elect report – Tullia

  • Director Elect Tullia reported on his activities with the chapter rejuvenation and history, and membership development committees

 

Past Director report (ALL) – Apter

  • Pas Director Apter presented a report on his IEEE board activities as Vice President RAB.
  • Director Kam and Past Director Apter presented their studies on proposed membership models.

&nbsp

Treasurer report – Conn

  • Rob Conn reported our net worth at the beginning or 2004 as $14,699.47
    Our projected net worth at the end of 2005 is $37,329
    The Proposed budget as shown in Mr Conn’s presentation was accepted by the Region committee.

&nbsp

Standards Presentation – Carlo

  • Jim Carlo, president of IEEE Standards Association presented a brief history of the IEEE standards association, and pointed to some of the historically important standards developed by IEEE, and some standards that are pending before the board. The efforts of the standards association is an important financial source for IEEE.

&nbsp

Candidates for Director Elect – Apter

  • Candidates from the nominating committee were introduced:
  • Dentler, Famouri, Walsh, Repperger
  • Floor nominations were requested
  • Director elect Tulia nominated Satish Agarwall
  • According to the procedures described at the beginning of the meeting, the nominating process stopped, giving voting members time to talk to candidates that evening

&nbsp

Technical Activities Board (TAB) – Terman

  • Lewis Terman presented the structure of Technical Activities with in IEEE and how Region and technical activities work together to support the member, and the society.

&nbsp

Introduction of Focus on Membership Development – Terman

  • Lewis Terman presented the structure of Technical Activities with in IEEE and how Region and technical activities work together to support the member, and the society.

&nbsp

Ø  TACTICAL

  • One of the ideas in to hold Metropolitan Area Workshops, on topics on in underrepresented markets and with potential growth sectors, i.e. new areas of business opportunity and employment.

The vision is a Multi-day, multi-track workshop in topics such as Smart Grid and Wireless Communications. Two are being held this year, one in Austin.

 

  • MGA is putting money into the Geographic unit revitalization effort (60k for the 6 regions, i.e., 10k/region) and a similar amount for the metropolitan area workshops (not conferences)

 

  • Communication campaign (IEEE staff)
  • IEEE membership at the end of 2010 was close to 400,000.  A big concern is that we are losing about 100,000 members every year.

 

  • Center for Leadership Excellence to develop members as volunteers and leaders.
    • There are canned modules for presentations (officer training, best practices, leadership training) – this was a recommendation from a Sections Congress

 

  • vTools projects http://vtools.ieee.org, are available to make things easier for running a section.  Specifically tools are available now for
    • Meetings and L31  reporting
    • WebInABox
    • Voting
    • Student Branch reporting

The are still working on a Finance tools to make the treasurers job easier.

 

  • Sections Congress is being held in 2011 – they are held every 3 years

The Focus for the 2011 Congress I on Training, Feedback/Continuous engagement and Networking.  It is important for every section to have at least one officer attend this meeting.

Each section should participate in the Recommendations process at the Congress. The board listens to and acts on the recommendations.  We should part of the solution, not just complain.

Paradigm shift –  How can the IEEE to think locally and act globally in the new environment

 

Ø  INBETWEEN

  • The Conference Tiger Team is examining relationships with other IEEE Operational units such as the Technical societies, and broadening of conferences relevant to geographic units and working professionals.  They are looking at emerging cross-disciplinary fields of interest and broad-based issues.

Ø  STRATIGIC

  • Re-invigorate and Re-invent Geo units
    • Define success
    • Reward good behavior
    • Empower innovation and collaboration that supports the new paradigm

 

  • Summary — If successful;, we will have…
    • Delivered member products and value
    • SC11
    • Developed Regional Geo strategies
    • Delivered on R1-6 strategy
    • Member growth – 400k+
    • Laid the foundation so that in 2011 the IEEE member message will resonate with all geo units

 

Ralph’s comments on metro area workshops – These will be subsidized for a only a few years and will be focus on the Practicing engineer.  R2 may want to consider support for this as a regular activity/event

 

It was proposed that one technical society membership be included with a basic IEEE membership.

 

Note:  For information on Fellow, go to Awards, look for Fellows page for categories

 

Membership trends and stats –  Adrienne Hahn  IEEE staff, membership marketing and communications manager

  • Currently…
    • 400+K
    • OUS trends – India are China members are up
    • US higher-grade member retention is comparably good
    • First year members – 100 new, 65 walk out

 

  • Recruitment and Retention Rate for Region2 is 83 % for all higher grade members, but only 35% for first year higher grade members.   Retention rate for graduate and undergraduates is worse overall.  We need to address these first year members in order to improve the retention rate.

 

  • In a survey of why members join the IEEE
    • Publications – 55%
    • Remain tech current – 52%
    • Join societies 42%
    • Enhance career Opportunities 37%
    • Continuing Education 34%
    • Enhancing stature
    • Networking with other professionals
  • In the survey of non-renewing members the things that they will miss
    • IEEE Spectrum(35%)
    • Nothing (25%)
    • Technical society membership (21%)
    • Discounts on conferences (15%)
    • Opportunities to stay technically current (13%)
    • Discounts on publications (12%)
    • IEEE Educational Products (11%)

There is clearly a sign that we are not meeting their initial expectations.

 

 

  • Member needs vs. Satisfaction shows that there are several areas offer a significant opportunity for improvement, these include
    • Public Policy Issues
    • Promote professionals to publish
    • Professional Networking
    • Online Career Resources.

 

  • Items available for helping the sections improve the First Year Member Experience include:
    • Monthly new member e-make alerts to section chairs and membership develop officers.
    • New Member list for the Section available
    • Strategic exercises for local groups
    • Guides and Templates e.g., “Getting Started” guide to all new members (see slide 20 in presentation)
    • New member mentor
    • Monthly webinar
    • Contact Center
    • New member orientation
    • Website for new members — ieee.org/start
    • Metrics and Benchmarking
    • Best practices
    • Greeting cards and envelops

 

  • There is some progress in retention from 2009 to 2010 (7.7.%) but there is a lot more room for improvement.
  • eLearning

 

Ralph said that all sections should have a Membership Development Coordinator

 

Region 2 Revitalization Ideas discussion

Metro area workshops – 2012 for R2

2011 Austin and Hunstville (R2)

 

Matching 10k for new initiatives

 

Travel for Area Chair Travel Funding – Robert Lawson, East Area Chair

  • Idea
    • Promote member engagement by increasing area Chairs’ involvement in  Sections

 

  • Benefits
    • Improve communications
    • Learn best practices
    • Advertise region activities
    • Help section address problems
    • Give R2 presence in sections
    • Bring suggestions back to Region

 

Suggested R2 budget, $1000 per area

Eligible for matching funds, GU revitalization

 

Ralph: focus on sections with problems on member engagement

R5 is working on something similar

 

Howard said – R1 budget is $1000 to $2000

 

Section leaders for joint meeting

 

Metrics?

# of sections visited

 

Ideas to be discussed tomorrow, areas have different needs

Former area chairs to share experiences

 

Regional Outstanding Meetings Program (ROMP) – Parviz Famouri

What can region and sections do to encourage and inspire better support of the chapters?

 

Identify meetings that were successful, for example, a large attendance with an interesting speaker and a topic og great interest.  Share the topics at the region level.  These speakers might be willing to give the presentation at other sections meetings.

 

Speaker Event Podcasting Concept – Ralph Ford

Provide electronic access to members who cannot attend meetings.  These could be created at a regular section/chapter meeting and made available on the web for our members and perhaps non-members to entice them into joining.  There followed a discussion on several options of recording content of meeting presentations electronically and posting them, e.g., facebook, VTC sites, youTube, etc.  – send ideas on this to Ralph.

 

R2 Awards Program Proposal – Anna Romaniuk

 

Survey noted that only R2 does not have an Awards Program.  Anna recommended that we  establish an R2 Award Committee and develop an R2 Awards Program.  This can be modeled on existing awards that are given by the MGA, IEEE-USA and EAB.  An advantage of having our own program is that when the annual announcements are issued for nominees from MGA etc, we can look at our own awardees and nominees for these higher level awards.

 

 

IEEE-USA Presidential Candidate Forum

Marc Apter and Nital Patel gave presentations on their candidacies.

 

IEEE Humanitarian Activities Review and Outlook – Peter Staecker  

This is not well defined and is still a work in progress.

 

Sections Congress 2011-Marc Apter & Murty Polavarapu  

All sections are expected to send at least one delegate.  MGA will pay for room, and registration for the primary delegate.  All other expenses, ie Airfare, transportation are to be covered by the section or Region.

 

  • Recommendations from the region are due by May 15, see below for discussion.
  • July 22 – Registration/Submission of Primary Section delegates – send to Marc Apter before deadline
  • Aug 19 Friday-Opening Ceremony
  • Aug 22 Monday- Closing Ceremony
  • Monday morning – 20 recommendations (top 5 will be in listed as action items)
  • 20 Primary delegates from the region, 1 from each section.
  • MGA will cover Registration ($525), lodging ($780) for primary delegate from the sections.
  • Any funding intended for a section delegate that is not used, can be allocated by the Region 2 director for use in the Region.
  • All other expenses are to be covered by Region or Section
  • Primary delegate criteria
    • Member of ExCom
    • First time attendee to SC
    • GOLD member or higher
    • The Section must Current in all reporting requirements to qualify for funding – R2 director can approve an exemption
  • Only one chapter within a Section with a separate L-50 has not submitted.
  • Encourage sections to send more people.  There is both IEEE  and MGA training
  • Option for Sunday night (Computer History Museum) – fee and your own dinner
  • Region may be able to send 10-15 people (limited budget)

 

R2 Proposed Recommendations to be submitted next month

The following were in the presentation:

Digital libraries –smaller, tiered packages (SC 08)

Membership dues payment options (SC 08)

Payment flexibility

Effective Communications Strategy across all levels

Comprehensive Strategy for K-12 outreach

Provide members visibility across geographic lines

Provide much more improved career transition support/resources/tools

 

The following were offered From the floor:

Integrity of IEEE (related to conferences that were bogus)

IEEE brand valued at $1B

Automatic renewal (credit card) until member opt-out

Ethics Training Module

Standards – how to use standards (how to educate) – (Ralph)

 

 

 

April 17, 2011 Region 2 Committee Meeting

 

 

 Ethics and Member Professional Conduct Update – Lynn Carpenter

  • Code of Ethics modified, which is covered in the presentation
  • Summary of the Handling of Member Conduct Complaints
  • The Ethics committee encourages IEEE Student Ethics Competition
    • The region 2 student Conference features an Ethics Competition
    • NoVA has competition for 6-7 years

 

R2 SPAC Report  – Joe Burns

  • SPAC set a new benchmark – 28 schools last year
  • 2011 goal for number of SPACS is 18.  To date, 6 but we expect to do as well as last year.
  • There are 80 student branches in R2, however only 45 appear to be active.
  • National meeting in May – Denver (Jim Watson is a speaker)

 

Pre-College Education Activities – Joe Burns

  • Twelve of twenty sections have reported pre-college activities.
  • Several of the sections support robot challenges
  • Science fairs are supported in many sections.
  • Sections were asked to provide points of contacts in Pre-College educational activities to Joe and provide information on their activities

 

Conference Coordinator – Raj Madhavan

  • Conferences in the area – local sections should  get involve
  • A complaint was that notification comes in too late to the local section to take action
  • A Best practices survey is to go out to the sections– what works/did not work
  • There will be a Workshop presentation at the 2011 Sections Congress
  • The Metropolitan Area Workshop are of interest to Raj
  • Someone in the meeting requested that it at the  Sections Congress, it should be brought to the attention of those involved with conferences that the sections need a checklist and that the conference organizers planning should include the local section
  • Marc Apter noted that this was raised at a Sections Congress a few years ago. This resulted in an IEEE policy to implement a notification to the local sections, however these notifications are a bit late. Thus, there is no time for the sections to plan on supporting the conferences.

 

Parviz Famouri mentioned that the next Nanotechnology conference in US is in 2013- He suggested sending in a proposal to host the conference in your section.

 

Information Management – Tom Starai

  • There are a number of vTools, available, web in a box, meeting, voting and more planned
  • There are other services available such as e-notice, listservs and conferencing, in addition there are free resources available such as Word Press.
  • Tom has had a number of VTC (video teleconference) with the National Capital Area Computer Society, which has included a number of sites.
  • Tom has made good use of “Second Life” which has an IEEE Island. This has been used for a number of activities.
  • SAMIEEE is the main IEEE member database.  It is available to the officers in a section and technical chapters.

 

Bill Semancik – Treasurer’s report (presentation by request)

  • There is an issue with funding for the Student Conference.  The expenditure this year significantly exceeded the budgeted amount.
  • The number of students expected in future years is expected to grow
  • It was suggested that an AdHoc Committee of past SAC chairs and the Treasurer to look at different financial models to address this continued growth
  • It was proposed that AB to chair committee

 

Parviz – Section Chair Forum  (no slides)

Bottom up

 

Ideas

  • IEEE-USA important for members – positive
  • US down in membership, rest of the world is up in membership
  • R1-R6 – projection is for more and more life members which creates financial issues
  • There are initiative to increase membership e.g. ROMP (Regional Outstanding Meeting Program)
  • Graphing, Signal Integrity, etc.

 

Revitalization Ideas – Murty Polavarapu  

 

1) Our members are not familiar with what IEEE-USA does.  To address this he suggested holding IEEE-USA open house events running between 4-6 hours on a weekend.  This event could be used to educate and engage members in building their careers or shaping public policy.  The recommendation was that there be a minimum of one such event in each of our areas.

 

2) Industry Relations events

We are not connected to the needs of industry leaders.  Our local IEEE leaders should meet with local industry leaders to develop a dialog, determine the needs of local industry and determining what the IEEE can do.  This will involve our local members.

 

Discussion of ideas followed:

  • Gov, industry and academia collaboration
  • Problem is internal (RAB defunded committee)
  • How much time will it take from your job?
  • Go to middle management
  • Identify industry
  • Emilio suggested involving them with student activity conference, career fairs, etc.
  • Joe Burns suggested talking to local industries during lunch hour (use brochures and educational materials) need to act not just talk
  • We should highlight benefits etc. insurance, etc.
  • Need new approaches – “one-on-one”
  • Region 1 “Industry Day” is now MGA Industry Day – Murty to contact R1
  • Area Chair visits – sections – address industry relations
  • Look at Section activity report

 

3) Colloquia on Topics of Broad Human Interest

Murty suggested an example for a colloquium on a topic such as “Technology for the Golden Years.”  The colloquia should connect technology with human needs.  We need to replicate successful events across the region

 

4) Region-wide Online Volunteer Training Webinar

Murty suggested that we hold a region wide volunteer training session via a webinar, this would be based on the session that he has run in person.  It would be scheduled in mid-November so that incoming officers know what their job entails and so they can learn about the IEEE.

 

Additional discussion from the floor

  • Look at your professional network
  • Grand challenges
  • TAB Future Directions
  • Investment banking, etc
  • How do you build your career – changing jobs (this is IEEE-USA function) see website
  • Ralph – MGA membership engagement life cycle committee
  • Career Survival for Engineers and Scientists Century

 

*** Metropolitan Workshop  – Ralph – we now have a charter

3 tracks

  • Energy
  • Wireless
  • Software

 

Sections interested (Reps from several sections raised their hands, including Baltimore, Dayton, etc)

 

SC 2011 R2 Recommendations – Marc Apter & Murty Polavarapu

The following topics were discussed as potential Region 2 Recommendations for the Sections Congress.

 

  • There was a discussion about changing “Senior Membership” so that it would have meaning to industry, academia and government.  For example the PMI (Project Management Institute) is a non-regulated organization like the IEEE.  They have a certification for Program Management Professionals.  The Senior Member could be viewed in a similar light as a certification that is meaningful to those employing IEEE members. An example was that a senior member applicant had to be active as a volunteer in the IEEE for at least one year and that the certification would be reevaluated periodically.

 

  • Recognize distinguished practitioners

 

  • Combine effective communication strategy and across regions

 

  • Ralph mentioned broadcasting section/region meetings – can IEEE provide some simple tools

 

  • Content in geounits are lost

 

  • Combine member dues and flexibility

 

  • IEEE-USA webinars, Marc suggested that this be brought up with MGA (coordination R1-R6) vs at the Sections congress.

 

  • There is a need to cut down to 4 proposals

 

These were

  1. Payment flexibility for members
  2. Introduce new membership grade for recognize distinguished practitioners
  3. Implement an effective communications strategy
  4. Develop a comprehensive strategy for K-12 outreach

 

Notes taken by Carole Carey

 

Presentations at the Student Conference

 

 

 

Minutes

Region 2 February
28, 2004

Lunch

 

Call to Order

Kam

·
Present and
approve the agenda

Folder 1 agenda

 

 

Opening remarks
and introductions

Kam

·
Director Kam
welcomed the region representatives

·
Director Kam
discussed the procedures for nominating candidates for director elect  (included as an attachment)

Folder 1

 

 

Approval of
appointments and Bylaws

Dentler

·
By laws, first
introduced one year ago, were approved.
Bylaws are posted on the web site.

Folder 6

 

 

Minutes of the
Feb 03 and Nov 03 meetings

Dentler

·
Minutes for the
Feb and Nov 03 meetings were approved.
Minutes are posted on the web site.

Folder 1

 

 

Secretary
announcements

Dentler

·
Addressed hotel
billing arrangements and arrangements for the evening banquet
celebrating Baltimore’s
Centennial as an IEEE AIEE section.

N/A

 

 

Director Report

Kam

·
Director Kam’s
report is included as an appendix.
Director Kam discussed the IEEE organization,
placing Region 2 in context with the world organization.

·
Director Kam
presented demographic statistics comparing Region 2 with other regions
through out the world.

Folder 2 file 1

 

 

Director-elect
report

Tullia

·
Director Elect
Tullia reported on his activities with the chapter rejuvenation and
history, and membership development committees.

File: Rpt_Dir
elect 040227 and 040228

 

 

Past Director
report (ALL)

Apter

·
Pas Director
Apter presented a report on his IEEE board activities as Vice President
RAB.

·
Director Kam
and Past Director Apter presented their studies on proposed membership
models.

Folder 2 file 2

 

 

Treasurer report

Conn

Rob Conn
reported our net worth at the beginning or 2004 as $14,699.47

Our projected
net worth at the end of 2005 is $37,329

The Proposed
budget as shown in Mr Conn’s
presentation was accepted by the Region committee.

 

Folder 2 files
#3 (3 files, Budget is in PPT

 

 

Standards
Presentation

Carlo

Jim Carlo,
president of IEEE Standards Association presented a brief history of
the IEEE standards association, and pointed to some of the historically
important standards developed by IEEE, and some standards that are
pending before the board.  The
efforts of the standards association is an important financial source
for IEEE.

Folder 2 file 4

 

 

Candidates for
Director Elect

Apter

·
Candidates from
the nominating committee were introduced:

·
Dentler,
Famouri, Walsh, Repperger

·
Floor
nominations were requested

·
Director elect
Tulia nominated Satish Agarwall

·
According to
the procedures described at the beginning of the meeting, the
nominating process stopped, giving voting members time to talk to
candidates that evening

Biographies are
included in folder #5

 

 

Technical
Activities Board (TAB)

Terman

Lewis Terman
presented the structure of Technical Activities with in IEEE and how
Region and technical activities work together to support the member,
and the society.

Folder 2 file #5

 

 

Introduction of
Focus on Membership Development

Walsh

 

 

 

 

Introduction To
RAB

Toland

Dan Toland
presented the types of support available from IEEE staff, particularly
the Region activities support staff.

 

 

 

Sections
Congress 2005

AB Shafaye

Mr  Shafaye could not attend.  His presentation was made
by Joe Kalasky.

Key elements:  Section Congress will be
held at the TAMPA MARRIOTT WATERSIDE on 14 through 17 October.  IEEE will fund
registration (includes room and food) for on primary delegate from each
section.

Delegate should
be the INCOMMING section chair (for 06).

The Region will
fund non primary delegates.   

 

Folder #2 File
# 7

 

 

GOLD

Gallo

Eric Gallo’s
presentation discusses the benefits of the Gold Program and describes
how to receive money for starting and continuing active chapters

Folder #2 File
#8

 

 

 

Industry
Relations / Tech Policy

Kalasky

Joe Kalasky who
serves as both R2 industry relations and IEEE industry relations
presented some survey data from Industry discussing the challenges of

 

 

 

John Dentler
and Bill Walsh started the morning with a challenge to the committee to
think about those things the society, and the Region could do to
encourage membership, and make the society more service to the
membership

 

PACE 

Famouri

Parvis Famouri
presented information about his Region 2 Pace workshop and the status
of the PACE projects in the Region. He invited persons to the PACE
Leadership Workshop 19 to 21 March in Atlanta.

Folder 2 # 9

 

 

Career
Enhancement

Chmielewski

Tom Chmielewski
discussed methods for continuing education, Career search sites and
other mechanisms that the society can help with Career development.

 

 

 

Awards

Kam

Director
Kam nominated Carole Carey to be the R2 Awards Chairman.

The
nomination was approved by the committee.

 

 

 

Student
activities

Berger /
Tulevski Mandayam

Shrekanth
Mandayam and Bob Tulevski presented their plan for student competitions. 

The competition
for 04 will be held during April at Cleveland State
University and include both Robot Competitions and ethics papers.

The Budget for
this event is about $30,000

 

This budget
item was approved by the committee.

 

 

 

Nomination of
Candidates for Director Elect

Apter

·
An executive
session started, and candidates were all requested to leave the session

·
Candidates were
invited in one at a time and were allowed to speak on their own behalf.

·
Voting
progressed, eliminating one candidate at a time, until there were only
two candidates remaining.

·
Dentler and
Famouri were nominated by the region as candidates for director elect.

 

 

 

Introduction to
Members Workshop

Walsh / Dentler

The committee
was broken into area workgroups and charged with developing a list of
things the society could help them with

 

 

 

Results of the
Break out Session

Area Chairs

The consensus
of the Work shops was that the society should help the membership with
continuing education.  This
could take several forms including PE classes, Education and
notification of Standards in process.

 

Carole Cary was
not able to make her presentation for R2 Women in Engineering, however
her presentation was submitted.

Folder 2 #11