World’s Largest Professional Association :
IEEE is the world’s largest professional association dedicated to advancing technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity. IEEE and its members inspire a global community through IEEE’s highly cited publications, conferences, technology standards, and professional and educational activities.
IEEE, pronounced “Eye-triple-E,” stands for the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. The association is chartered under this name and it is the full legal name. To learn more about the association’s name, please read the History of IEEE.
Mission Statement :
IEEE’s core purpose is to foster technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity.
IEEE will be essential to the global technical community and to technical professionals everywhere, and be universally recognized for the contributions of technology and of technical professionals in improving global conditions.
IEEE Quick Facts :
- more than 425,000 members in more than 160 countries, more than 50 percent of whom are from outside the United States;
- more than 116,000 Student members;
- 333 Sections in 10 geographic regions worldwide;
- 2,195 Chapters that unite local members with similar technical interests;
- 2,354 student branches at colleges and universities;
- 800 student branch chapters of IEEE technical societies;
- 428 affinity groups – IEEE Affinity Groups are non-technical sub-units of one or more Sections or a Council. The Affinity Group patent entities are the IEEE-USA Consultants’ Network, Graduates of the Last Decade (GOLD), Women in Engineering (WIE), and Life Members (LM).
- has 38 Societies and 7 technical Councils representing the wide range of IEEE technical interests;
- has more than 3 million documents in the IEEE Xplore Digital Library, with more than 8 million downloads each month;
- has more than 1,400 standards and projects under development;
- publishes more than 148 transactions, journals, and magazines;
- sponsors more than 1,300 conferences in 80 countries while:
- partnering with more than 1,000 non-IEEE entities globally;
- attracting more than 400,000 conference attendees;
- publishing more than 1,200 conference proceedings via IEEE Xplore.