Student Branches are the backbone of the IEEE student program. IEEE has created a variety of resources to ensure that students are successful in their work.
Why is an IEEE Student Branch Beneficial?
A Student Branch gives students the opportunity to meet and learn from fellow students, as well as faculty members and professionals in the field. An active IEEE Student Branch can be one of the most positive elements in a department offering programs in IEEE designated fields of Engineering, Computer Science and
Information Technology and others as listed at
IEEE Student Branches are established at over 1,500 universities and colleges throughout the world. Student Branch activities offer numerous educational, technical, and professional advantages of IEEE membership through special projects, activities, meetings, tours and field trips. Listed below are some programs and projects that keep students interested in the Branch and its activities and their chosen profession:
* participation in regional conferences, workshops and competitions
* development of leadership, interpersonal and team building skills
* participation in awards, scholarships and project/design programs and student paper contests
* establishment of a Student Branch Library with IEEE’s publications
* access IEEE online services and resources
* establish a Web site
Seminars with guest speakers, who are professionals working in the field, enable students to enhance their knowledge outside the classroom. Joint seminars let students meet and talk with other interested students. Student Professional Awareness Conferences (S-PACs) help increase awareness of professional issues such as ethics, continuing education, and communication skills. The Student Professional Awareness Venture (S-PAVe) program gives teams of IEEE Student members the opportunity to develop project proposals to increase professional awareness and receive funding to implement the project. The IEEE also sponsors Regional Student Paper contests with cash awards in each of the ten Regions and promotes outstanding student and faculty counselor recognition award programs. The IEEE offers rebates and allotments to help Student Branches with operating costs based on their timely submission of their Annual Report and Annual Plan. Upon submission of their Annual Report, Student Branches receive a US$2.00 per member rebate. Upon submission of their Annual Plan, Branches receive US$50.00 if they have less than 49 members, and US$100.00 if they have 50 or more members, based on membership statistics as of 31 December each year.
The IEEE Student Concourse web site at http://www.ieee.org/students provides valuable information on IEEE Student membership benefits and Student Branch programs. The Student Services Department provides the following materials to support Student Branches:
* guidelines to form a Branch, petitions, bylaws, membership applications and posters
* branch leadership training power point
* membership development manual – Student Branch edition
* information on scholarships and awards;
* supplies (posters, benefit flyers, stationery, envelopes, etc.).