The American Institute of Electrical Engineers and the Institute of Radio Engineers (IRE) merged on January 1, 1963 to form the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). Prior to 1963, both the AIEE and IRE maintained a section in South Carolina and Georgia. Below are the founding dates:
Click and view the notes below.
September 9, 1955 – The IRE Executive Committee approved the establishment of the Piedmont Subsection of the North Carolina-Virginia Section of the IRE to include the several counties in North Carolina. Click and view the letter below.
May 12, 1958 – In IRE, a South Carolina Section existed in Region 3. The South Carolina Section was formerly the Charleston Subsection of the Atlanta Section of IRE. A corresponding IRE map has not been located but the notes in the foundation of the Section gave the territory as follows for the South Carolina Section:
Click and view the notes below.
- Central Savannah River Subsection
- Charleston Subsection
- Columbia Subsection
- Piedmont Subsection
- 1972 – Henry L. Able, chair; Luther R. Gower, vice chair; Robert G. Daniels, secretary; Delbert G. Owen, treasurer.
- 1973 – Luther R. Gower, chair; Robert G. Daniels, vice chair; Delbert G. Owen, secretary.; Willis L. Rahn, treasurer.
- 1974 – Robert G. Daniels, chair; Delbert G. Owen, vice chair; Willis L. Rahn, secretary; A.C. Hart, treasurer.
- 1975 – Delbert G. Owen, chair; A.C. Hart, vice chair; A.D. Page, Jr., secretary; L.O. Darby, treasurer.
- 1976 – A.C. Hart, chair; A.D. Page, jr., vice chair; L.O Darby, secretary; Bennie R. Moultrie, treasurer.
- 1977 – A.D. Page, jr., chair; Luther O. Darby, vice chair; Bennie R. Moultrie, secretary; Mitchell S. Tibshrany, Jr., treasurer.
- 1978 – Luther O. Darby, chair; Bernard R. Moultrie, vice chair; Mitchell S. Tibshrany, jr., secretary; James R. Bond, treasurer.
- During this time a newsletter, “Southern Corona”, was published, edited by James F. Scoggin, Jr. at the Citadel.
- 1979 – M.S. Tibshrany, chair; A. Chad Merrell, vice chair; H.V. Nolte, secretary; Robert Mitchell, treasurer.
- 1980 – A. Chad Merrell, chair; Robert M. Herron III, vice chair; Robert Mitchell, secretary; F.L. Cain, treasurer.
- 1981 – Robert M. Herron III, chair; Robert A. Mitchell, vice chair; Fred L. Cain, secretary; John E Bennett, treasurer; J. Roy Bond, PAC representative.
- 1982 – Robert A. Mitchell, chair; Fred L. Cain, vice chair; John E. Bennett, secretary; James D. Hayes, treasurer.
More information is forthcoming. We welcome your contributions to this historical effort.
Area 7 History
- American Institute of Electrical Engineers and the Institute of Radio Engineers (IRE)
- AIEE South Carolina Section (District 4)
- AIEE District 4 Map
- IRE Piedmont Subsection of NC-VA Section
- IRE Region 3 Atlanta Section’s Charleston Subsection Becomes South Carolina Section
- IRE South Carolina Section
- Formation of IEEE South Carolina Section
- IEEE South Carolina Affiliation of Sections
- Formation of IEEE South Carolina Council
- Formation of IEEE Area 7
Area 7/SC Council
Central Savannah River Section
- Augusta Technical College
Coastal SC Section
- Coastal South Carolina IEEE Join Society Chapter of IEEE Computer Society (C16), IEEE Communications Society (COM19) and IEEE Power and Energy Society (PE31)
- Horry-Georgetown Tech College IEEE Student Branch
- The Citadel IEEE Student Branch
- Trident Technical College IEEE Student Branch
- Florence-Darlington Technical College IEEE Student Branch (Inactive)
- South Carolina State University IEEE Student Branch
- University of South Carolina IEEE Student Branch
- University of South Carolina IEEE Student Branch Chapter of Power Electronics Society
- University of South Carolina IEEE Student Branch Chapter of Power and Energy Society
- University of South Carolina IEEE Student Branch Chapter of Eta Kappa Nu Honor Society
- Piedmont Section IEEE Student Branch
- Clemson University IEEE Student Branch
- Clemson University IEEE Student Branch Chapter of Intelligent Transportation Systems Society