- This event has passed.
Grand Coulee Dam Tour Friday Sept. 14 – Richland and Seattle PES Sections
September 14, 2018 @ 12:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Built by the Army Corps of Engineers between 1933 and 1942, Grand Coulee Dam was the largest concrete structure in the world for decades. With the expansion of the third power station in 1974 made it the largest power plant in the world at the time. It still remains the largest power plant in the USA with a capacity of over 6 GW in three power stations. It also has a large pumped storage facility of several hundred MW that links to the Columbia Basin Irrigation Project. As the center-piece of the Columbia Basin Project, the dam’s reservoir supplies water for the irrigation of 671,000 acres.
- This is a hard hat, VIP tour of an operating power plant so closed toe shoes and sensible clothing is required. Shorts, dresses, sleeveless shirts, tanktops, high heels, and any long flowing attire are not permitted.
- Photo ID is required for this tour. Foreign nationals must submit copies of their passports two weeks in advance, while citizens need only to present their driver’s licenses the day of the tour.
- Only members of IEEE and one quest per member are allowed to attend the VIP tour. No one under 18. There is a shorter tour available for the public every hour that other guests can attend. More info on the public tour can be found at http://www.usbr.gov/pn/grandcoulee/visit/tour.html
- Cameras are allowed in most areas of the tour. Restricted areas will be pointed out during the tour briefing.
- Only members of IEEE and one quest per member are allowed to attend the VIP tour. No one under 18.
- There is a $5.00 per person registration fee. Each person attending must be registered. If a guest is attending with you, they will need to be registered.
- To attend this tour, please register below. Space is limited to 22 people maximum.
Speaker(s): Ivan Snavely USBR Supervisor,
12:00 pm – Visitor Center Check In (ID required for Badges), Safety Message and Personnel Protection Equipment issued, Welcome and Introductions
12:30 pm – Tour of the dam and appurtenances
4:30 pm – Return to Visitor Center
WA-155, Coulee Dam Visitor Center
Grand Coulee Dam Visitor Center, Washington