Grand Coulee Dam Tour Friday Sept. 20 – Seattle IEEE PES Section
September 20 @ 12:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Built by the Army Corps of Engineers between 1933 and 1942, Grand Coulee Dam was the largest concrete structure in the world for decades. With the expansion of the third power station in 1974 made it the largest power plant in the world at the time. It still remains the largest power plant in the USA with a capacity of over 6 GW in three power stations. It also has a large pumped storage facility of several hundred MW that links to the Columbia Basin Irrigation Project. As the center-piece of the Columbia Basin Project, the dam’s reservoir supplies water for the irrigation of 671,000 acres.
- This is a hard hat, VIP tour of an operating power plant so closed toe shoes and sensible clothing is required. Shorts, dresses, sleeveless shirts, tank tops, high heels, and any long flowing attire are not permitted
- Photo ID is required for this tour. Unfortunately, US Citizens Only due to time it takes to perform background checks 4-6 weeks. US citizens will be required to present their driver’s licenses or valid ID the day of the tour.
- This is a technical tour for IEEE members and their quests. There is a shorter tour available for the public every hour that may be more appropriate for others such as younger children. More info on the public tour can be found at http://www.usbr.gov/pn/grandcoulee/visit/tour.html
- There is a significant amount of standing, walking and climbing stairs on this tour.
- Cameras are allowed in most areas of the tour. Restricted areas will be pointed out during the tour briefing.
- To attend this tour, you must RSVP by Sept 13, 2019.
- There is a $5.00 per person fee to attend this tour. Each person attending must be registered. If a guest is attending with you, they will need to be registered.
- Space is limited to 22 people due to the size of the tour vans.
12:00 pm – Visitor Center Check In (ID required for Badges), Safety Message and Personnel Protection Equipment issued, Welcome and Introductions
12:30 pm – Tour of the dam and appurtenances
4:30 pm – Return to Visitor Center
WA-155, Coulee Dam Visitor Center
Grand Coulee Dam Visitor Center, Washington