Visit our new web site: TechnologyAndSociety.org …. that’s where the action is.
The Society on Social Implications of Technology (SSIT) of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) is concerned with how technology impacts the world, and with how the application of technology can improve the world. The Society focuses on issues such as: humanitarian engineering; environmental issues including climate change, green technologies, and sustainable design; privacy and security; other economic, health, and safety implications of technology; engineering ethics and professional responsibility; engineering education including k-12 and engineering education in social implications of technology; history of technology; public policy related to engineering, technology and science; health and healthcare technologies and impact; reliable energy and social issues related to energy, and social issues of information technology and telecommunications.
- IEEE Technology and Society Magazine, an award-winning journal containing both peer-reviewed and general interest articles.
- The International Symposium on Technology and Society (ISTAS), held annually [ 2017 10 – 11 August, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia]
Support and sponsorship of additional conferences.
- An active network of SSIT chapters spanning the globe.
- Awarding of the periodic IEEE Carl Barus Award for Outstanding Service in the Public Interest.
- A Guest Lecturer program on critical topics of interest.
- Online discussion of social impacts of technology through forums, website, blogs, and social media.
- Support for members who speak, publish and advocate on SSIT topics within the Society or as participants in other IEEE societies and professional activities.
Membership in SSIT is open to all IEEE members and student members. Affiliation with SSIT with all benefits except voting rights is available to persons who are not members of IEEE. Click here for more information on joining SSIT.