One of the Washington Section’s core support mechanisms is to assist its groups (chapters, student branches, etc.) financially. The Section’s first priority is for its groups to be successful (where success == holding lots of high-quality technical meetings each year), and while it’s not the Section’s role to organize technical meetings for the groups, we support our groups and their meetings by providing funding for those meetings. We can also provide funding for other activities, such as workshops, travel to relevant meetings, conference organization, science fair awards, furthering STEM education, and so on and so forth. (In general, a group must be holding technical meetings before it will receive additional funding for other activities.)
Basically any activity that supports the IEEE mission & vision or components of the IEEE strategic plan is a candidate for receiving funding. You are paying members of IEEE, so you don’t have to expend your own financial resources to be involved – just your time, expertise, and desire to promote our fields and organization.
The ground rules for expenses and reimbursement are summarized here:
- The expense must be a legitimate expense as defined above.
- The expense has been approved by the Section either by an approved motion or an approved budgeted line item. These items will be recorded in the meeting minutes for future reference.
- This will generally take place in the section monthly AdCom meetings.
- In an emergency, a motion can be made and approved by email or a phone call. This motion should be appended into the minutes of the next AdCom meeting.
- There are two ways to access funds:
- Reimbursement can be obtained by submitting a request with appropriate documentation to the Section treasurer (or acting treasurer) via email or in person at a Section meeting.
- Expenses must be submitted within 60 days of the purchase or event, and will be reimbursed within 30 days.