IEEE Winnipeg Section

IEEE

Section History

The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, IEEE, had two predecessors: the American Institute of Electrical Engineers (AIEE) established in New York on May 13, 1884, and the Institute of Radio Engineers (IRE) established in 1912. The organizations were developed as a result of the theoretical and applied advances in both electrotechnology (e.g., arc lights and Edison’s incandescent lights, as well as power-related equipment) and wired/wireless communications (e.g., telegraph, telephone, underwater cable between Europe and America, and radio). AIEE and IRE merged into IEEE on January 1, 1963.

From 1947 to 1952, Manitoba’s technical electrical and electronics communities constituted a subsection of the AIEE Toronto Section (the oldest section in Canada, established September 30, 1903). On August 18, 1953, the Winnipeg Section became autonomous under IRE. In recognition of this important event, the Winnipeg Section received a 50th Anniversary Banner during the Spring Region 7 Meeting in Montreal (May 2-4, 2003).

Download the 50th Anniversary presentation highlighting some of the accomplishments of the section by clicking here.