Great difference lies in the rates of enrollment of boys, as compared to girls in academic institutes of Pakistan. According to UNESCO statistics, primary school enrollment for girls stands at 60 percent as compared to 84 percent for boys. The secondary school enrolment rate stands at a lower rate of 32 per cent for females and 46 per cent males. This wind of gender disparity also exists in engineering institutes of Pakistan but currently no statistics are available in this regard yet. IEEE PAKISTAN WOMEN IN ENGINEERING FORUM initiated the project named as “IEEE PAKISTAN MISSION TO PROGRESS” to provide gender equal opportunities in science & society, to provide awareness about science, engineering & technology ,to provide networking opportunities by connecting all Pakistan WIE affinity groups empowering the hidden talent.
PAKISTAN MISSION TO PROGRESS Project was launched on May 19, 2011 at University of Engineering & Technology Lahore, under the leadership of Anum Javed ,Treasurer IEEE Pakistan WIE Forum.
Since its initiation, a number of socio-technical events have been conducted with mind blowing success circumscribing PMP’s main agenda. The team of PMP is growing day by day covering all areas of Pakistan.
The exclusive features of this project were designed as:
- Survey of the current Gender-equality status through questionnaire.
- Gender-Equality promotion in co-operation with rural areas.
- Conduct Seminars in three different IEEE sections of Pakistan for change of mind set.
The Pakistan Mission to Progress Project has been divided into two major phases. In phase one,we visited different schools and colleges with the aim to create awareness among the young females regarding the field of engineering. Through these efforts of the Pakistan Mission to Progress Project team, we envision a brighter and better tomorrow where the young female students are well aware of their role in their field of engineering and how they can bring about a change in the world being an engineer.
Ms. Anum Javed, Pakistan Mission to Progress Project lead, has been carrying out this project very smoothly. In doing so, she has been contacting all the student branches of Pakistan, gathering their members’ data and encouraging volunteers to work for this cause. It was the efforts of the Pakistan Mission to Progress team that a social network platform could be established for all the IEEE Student Branches of Pakistan.
To carry out the targeted goals, the Pakistan Mission to Progress Project team visited different schools and colleges and aspired the next generation of women in engineering.
Pakistan Mission To Progress Team structure
Project Head :
Anum Javed [Treasurer IEEE Pakistan WIE Forum, Lahore]
Section Coordinators :
- Ayesha Ansari [Chair IEEE WIE UIT,Karachi]
- Javeria Habib [Secretary IEEE WIE UET,Lahore]
- Rumsha Younus [Chair IEEE WIE BU,Islamabad]
- Nafeesa Mazhar [Vice-Chair IEEE WIE GCUF,Faisalabad]
Project Facilitator :
Bilal M Zaki [IEEE PNEC Karachi Section]
- Hammad Shafqat [Chairman MAJU Student Branch, Islamabad]
- Anum Riaz [NUST SEECS, Islamabad]
- Sarwish [NUST SEECS, Islamabad]
- Hijab Malik [CASE, Islamabad]
- Sara Rehman Memon [Dept of Electrical Engineering,MUET, Jamshoro]
- Wahaba Hussain [Chair IEEE-WIE NED UET, Karachi]
- Maria Rana [Department of Electrical Engineering, UIT Karachi]
- Syeda Sundus Haider [ MAJU, Karachi]
- Iqra Sajid [Vice-Chair WIE PNEC, Karachi]
- Faria Ashfaq [SZABIST, Karachi]
- Aqdus Sadiq [Department of Electrical Engineering,NFC-IEFR,Faisalabad]
- Ahmed Ali [Department of Electrical Engineering,COMSATS ,Lahore]
- Faizan Quresh [Chair IEEE LUMS,Lahore]
- Bilal Sheikh [Chair IEEE UMT,Lahore]
- Fareeha Zafar [BNU,Lahore]
- Azka Naseem [BNU,Lahore]
- Dania Faraz [BNU,Lahore]
- Fatima Yasmee [BNU,Lahore]
- Sidra Bint-e-Saleem [Chair WIE IEEE NWFP-UET, Peshawar]
- Sadaf Riaz [BUITEMS, Baluchistan]
- Trip To Government Kindergarten Faisalabad
- Trip to PN Model School Karachi
- Awareness Session At Khatoon-e-Pakistan School
PHASE TWO OF PAKISTAN MISSION TO PROGRESS PROJECT
Next, in phase two, for the purpose of survey of the current Gender-equality status, an online questionnaire form is being filled through these steps:
Each co-coordinator will forward the link of form to her respective section universities volunteers and ask them to fill it from the students of university (at least 6 forms from each disciples of engineering).
Ask volunteer to collect the no of total students enrolled in their university in 2011 in each department. (They can take this info from the admission cell of their university).
Then we will compile this list in the format which we have already built in excel.
- Survey form data will be automatically filled in Google docs.
If 6 form from each department is not already being filled then we will ask volunteer of respective university to get hard copy of form and get it filled and send us the scanned copy then we will manually fill the form results on Google doc excel sheet.
At the end of all data collection we will represent the results in the form of Charts and graphs and draw some conclusion.